Down by the Riverside...the Wayfarer 5/16/16




Down by the Riverside
5/16/16

Ephesians 6:10-18King James Version (KJV)
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Today’s title comes from yet another of those old hymns that refuse to stop rattling around in the space of the grey matter of my head like marbles in a shaken bowl.
Along with the hymn, no longer often heard today, pictures of a past profession also refuse to stop their rattling that forces them to the fore as lessons learned are remembered and continually translated into terms that show just how important those lessons remain.
First, the hymn, author unknown to me, publication date unknown, words well known and remembered from youth when heard regularly in small church buildings as they resounded from the walls echoing throughout the congregations gathered for both Sunday services and revivals attended:
Down By the Riverside
“I'm gonna lay down my burden, down by the riverside,
Down by the riverside, down by the riverside
I'm gonna lay down my burden, down by the riverside,
I'm gonna study war no more
I ain't a gonna study war no more, I ain't a gonna study war no more
I ain't a gonna study war no more, I ain't a gonna study war no more
I ain't a gonna study war no more, I ain't a gonna study war no more
Well, I'm gonna put on my long white robe, (Where?) down by the riverside (Oh)
Down by the riverside, down by the riverside
I'm gonna put on my long white robe, (Where?) down by the riverside
I'm gonna study war no more
I ain't a gonna study war no more, I ain't a gonna study war no more
I ain't a gonna study war no more, I ain't a gonna study war no more
I ain't a gonna study war no more, I ain't a gonna study war no more
Well, I'm gonna lay down my sword and shield, (Where?) down by the riverside
Down by the riverside, down by the riverside
I'm gonna lay down my sword and shield, (A-ha) down by the riverside
I'm gonna study war no more
I ain't a gonna study war no more, I ain't a gonna study war no more
I ain't a gonna study war no more, I ain't a gonna study war no more
I ain't a gonna study war no more, I ain't a gonna study war no more”
The burden of the paraphernalia that make up the required equipment to be carried by a soldier is well known to any who have served in that capacity, and those that have trained to serve in that capacity, some of which do not meet the ability requirements, therefore being discharged from that service because of the importance of the ability to both carry and maintain that equipment issued them for duties that necessitate both its presence and serviceability.
Regular inspections are held by superiors to assure both that the equipment is there and is serviceable for the time that it is needed.
Inspections should be held as well by the individuals issued that equipment to replace or repair any piece of it that is missing or damaged in any way.
I have addressed previously my disdain for the dog and pony shows that so often were a portion of this inspection process.
Too often what was inspected was not the serviceability and presence of the equipment, but the ability to display it uniformly for the inspectors.
The best and most effective experience of the years came with inspectors who cared less about the eyewash and more about whether the equipment was there, serviceable and that the individual soldier knew how to use it… and could and did use it as needed.
The burden of that equipment was carried on a daily basis and could not be laid down until the mission that required its use was complete.
Then, and only then, was the equipment laid down, yet left at close hand in preparation for future use if needed.
Despite the weight of the “burden” carried, that burden was genuinely appreciated as each piece of the equipment was put to its intended and proper use.
Failure to see the necessity of carrying any piece of that equipment often resulted in its loss, meaning it was NOT there when needed.
This meant that if the equipment were rain gear, and it rained, and you didn’t have it …you got wet!
No matter how insignificant that gear may have seemed to the one carrying it… it had a specific purpose that in some manner was for his protection.
The old hymn speaks of the time when we can lay down the burden, as do many of those precious hymns that I so dearly remember and love.
Quite often they speak of the riverside that must be crossed, and that that crossing changes what is needed, what is carried, and what is waiting on the opposite bank of that river.
This one relates the fact that there will be no more need to study war… that war being forever ended the need for preservation completely supplied in full upon that crossing.
Until that crossing is complete, the burden must be carried, the equipment must be at hand, must be proficiently used and inspected for flaws daily that could make it less effective.
The inspection must take place by the one carrying the issued equipment, until it is inspected by another Inspector when it is turned in, no longer a necessity at the end of the war, that must, and shall, rage daily, whether noted or not by those who were issued the equipment with which to wage that war.
If the equipment is not serviceable, or is damaged, it is the responsibility of the individual to call it to the attention of the Issuer!
Just as the non-coms were there to assist, so too must those who lead assist in replacement and repair  when needed or allow those who would follow to face the dangers that ensue when replacement or repair are not done.
The equipment issued that I speak of today, is that equipment spoken of by Paul in the opening scripture.
It is only issued to those who request it, only supplied by the One in possession of it, and comes only with the cost of its request.
Christ supplies all needs….on request.
Without the request, there can be no issuance.
We, remain at war. Laying down of what is issued is surrender.
If you have not been issued the necessary equipment, the time is come to make the request!
The first piece that must be requested is the shield that comes with faith.
That faith must be in Christ Jesus, not in self or the things that would substitute themselves for the armor provided by Him through His life, ministry crucifixion and resurrection.
Someday, I too will be able to lay down my sword and shield, but that day has not yet arrived. Until then I must carry the “burden” that, in reality, is no burden at all to me…that burden having been borne by Jesus, and still borne by Him upon request.



2 Timothy 1:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
Amen and Amen
the Wayfarer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

Know Peace