The Rock

 

The Rock

A few times the hymn by Dwight Pratt is sung at Christian gatherings. “Rock of ages, cleft for me; let me hide myself from thee.” A few people have tried to hide themselves from the judgment of God,; cannot hide. Some seek the “face of God;” seeking to gain His attention. All know of Him but few call upon His name or seek His face. God can hide us in the cleft of the Rock but we cannot hide in its cleft. We dwell upon the Rock and our Rock cups His hands into a cleft of protection when life’s storms rage. David wrote: "Yahweh is my rock." (Psalms 18:2) We feel his presence, see a shadow of his person but we never see His face.

Exodus 33:20 “...he (the great I Am) said, Thou (Moses) canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. 21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: 22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: 23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.”

It was our Rock that displayed manifestation of the power of Christ as being the smitten Rock in the desert from which water burst forth to nourish the Israelite people. This Rock followed the people in their wilderness wandering and gave forth a living stream for their supply. Paul made this ever-flowing rock a beautiful and accurate symbol of Christ: "The rock was Christ" (1 Corinthians 10:4).

Exodus 17:5 “… the Lord said unto Moses, Go on before the people, and take with thee of the elders of Israel; and thy rod, wherewith thou smotest the river, take in thine hand, and go. 6 Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel. (Deuteronomy 32:4) He is the Rock, his work is perfect:...”

Corinthians 10:1 “Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud,...(3) And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”

Matthew 16:18 “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Know God, know peace, Amen, 03/30/21 BLL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day