Desire

DESIRE

2 Corinthians 12: 3”...I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) 4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. 5 Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities. 6 For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me. 7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.”
If ever there was a deep rooted desire within any human, Paul’s desire outweighed them all. He tells of his desire and pleading for deliverance from “the thorn in his flesh.” We Christians bare that thorn, least we become exalted in Grace. Paul’s desire was self ward. He never said we would have such a thorn because, like grace, evil is personal and designed to fit its subject. There can be no doubt the apostle speaks of himself. Whether heavenly insight and revelations were brought down to him, while his body lay as dead, or whether his soul (center of knowledge) was temporarily extracted from the body, and carried up into the presence of God, or whether he was transported, body and soul together, he could not determine. Bot, Paul knew for a fact that he spoke personally with God. His desire was not granted but an answer was given. As with him, this teaches us to enlarge our expectations of the glory that shall be revealed, it should render us contented with the usual methods of learning the truth and will of God.
The apostle gives an account of the method God took to keep him humble, and to prevent his being lifted up above measure, on account of the visions and revelations he had. We are not told what this thorn in the flesh was, whether some great trouble, or some great temptation. But God often brings this good out of evil, that the reproaches of our enemies help to hide pride from us. God loves us. He will keep us from being exalted above measure despite our desires; spiritual burdens are ordered to cure spiritual pride. This thorn in the flesh is said to be a messenger of Satan which he sent for evil; but God designed it, and overruled it for good. Prayer is a salve for every sore, a remedy for every malady;

While Jesus spoke of our obtaining the desires of our hearts if we approach the throne of God in a proper manner to receive them, that proper manner is our downfall. Much spiritual faith and growth may produce such faith but we desire milk and often never are weened. First Peter 2:2 “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:” Desire will be present always. The desires of our hearts never cease to torment Christians while they inhabit the clay. Even Jesus had desires that was delayed in their filling. Luke 22:15 “And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:” In all things he was as we are. Never satisfied, those of the world and those in holy battle one with another desire to have victory. Desire is not the answer. Great want is not the answer. Self attempts to obtain is not the answer. We are given the clue in: James 4:2 “Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.”

Sometimes Gos pours out His Spirit so flooding His selected deliverers of the Word that they appear to be specially gifted. It is all about what God can do and not about His workers. 2 Corinthians 12:6 “For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.” Take unto your self no credit for the work God manifests through you; His servant. Those who make a mockery of God by pretense and deception for personal gain will come to a sour end. The day is nigh when God will pour out His wrath upon the wicked. Revelation 9:6 “And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.” But, the bride of Christ will suffer not the wrath of God. Know God, know peace, Amen. 01-18-2020 BLL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day