The Prespice

THE PRECIPICE
As I stood there on the brink of the precipice that day a few years back, overlooking the Cumberland Area, I was overcome with a feeling of smallness. Below, I could watched a train slowly worming passage through the man hune tunnel leaving Tasswell, Virginia and exiting in Middles Borough, Kentucky. It was no greater in appearance than a tinker toy. A cool steady breeze caressed my brow. I considered the flight available for a moment but turned away without enjoying the free fall. Battles of the Civil war of the 1860s were fought here and signs of death remained. Cudjo’s Cave, burred deep into the Cumberland Mountain served the soldiers well. It was home for Cudjo, a runaway slave, who took up refuge in the cave. The owners rename the cave, Cudjo's Caverns). I had visited the Cavern with a church group in years long past. Now, considering my free fall, I recognized a truth; the free fall would be unbelievably great but the landing would be disastrous. Smiling, I turned away to view old war relics preserved in Cumberland Gap Park. Closed now because of COVID-19, it will be a wonderful experience to have soon.

And so is life. We stand on the brink of destruction looking down with a sort of mesmerization at the great assortments of pleasures designed by Satan. Hell seems so very far away. Yet, it lies just a step away at any given moment. Many troubles, sorrows and storms may confront us. Satan has a quick fix; soar into deep sin and forgetfulness. Many choose to plunge into the abyss rather than look up the straight path and through the narrow gate into heaven and share the comfort and eternal life waiting us there at the days end.
It has been preached that “there is pleasure in sin for a season.” Even so sin is not a shield from sorrow but only a filter that deceives the sinner into false hope.
Hebrews 11:25 “Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;”

Proverbs 16:25 “There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.”

2 Corinthians 12:9 “...Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake:” Know God, know peace. Amen. 06-27-2020 BLL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day