The Word

The Word
Thou art my portion, O LORD: I have said that I would keep thy words.” (Psalm 119:57)

In the course of passing years, oral transmission often failed in keeping God’s word in correct order and total content. There were scholars who did possess the ability and taught others. According to God’s command, as the children of Israel crossed the Jordan River during the flood season, the head of each of the twelve tribes were commanded to take one stone from the dry river bed and carry it to the Promised Land side of the Jordan. Using these twelve stones built an alter of remembrance. Annually, the leader of each tribe was to take the children back to that altar and explain in detail all that pertained to it. They were guarding the Word of God. Maybe we should journey there with our children.

Looking to this most visited of the Psalmist there are three stanzas within the twenty-two stanzas (Psalm 119) have all eight of the Hebrew terms used to describe the Word of God. Consider the central theme in these verses (119:57-64) they provide us concise ways to keep His Word forever guarded: “CHETH. Thou art my portion, O LORD: I have said that I would keep thy words.
58 I intreated thy favour with my whole heart: be merciful unto me according to thy word.
59 I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.
60 I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments.
61 The bands of the wicked have robbed me: but I have not forgotten thy law.
62 At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments.
63 I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.
64 The earth, O LORD, is full of thy mercy: teach me thy statutes.

Principally, our “whole heart” must be involved in seeking the “favour” of God (v. 58). The “great commandment” (Matthew 22:38) rests on loving God with “all” of our hearts. If we seek God’s blessing, during our earthly life and keep His words, we can “trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6).

A true and earnest heart contemplates the ways of God and turns its “feet unto [His] testimonies” (Psalm 119:59). A godly life is a planned and programmed life seeking to discover, understand and obey the words of God. Such commitment initiates “haste” and will not delay in discovering and keeping His commandments (Psalm 119:60). Ofttimes, Circumstances will cause temporary setbacks in the life of a godly person (Psalm 119:61), but they will not forget the laws of God. Rather, they will rise at “midnight” to give thanks to our Lord “because of thy righteous judgments” (Psalm 119:62).

The Christian who will to guard the Word of God is a companion of those who fear God and keep the precepts of the Word (Psalm 119:63). The thirsty heart sees the mercy of the Lord everywhere and longs to drink of its living water of life. They learn of the “Creator of the ends of the earth” (Isaiah 40:28) to teach it the eternal statutes of His Word (Psalm 119:64). May “such an heart” (Deuteronomy 5:29) be ours as we seek to serve Him. Guard His Word in fear and trembling. It will never fail nor be made void. Know God, know peace. Amen 04-20-2019 BLL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day