The Old Rugged Cross...the Wayfarer 6/12/16


The Old Rugged Cross
 6/12/16

John 19:17-19 King James Version (KJV)
17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:
18 Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.
19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was Jesus Of Nazareth The King Of The Jews.

“When all is said and done, it is all about the cross.” This is a statement often heard and repeated time and again throughout the realm of Christianity.
The cross has come to symbolize Christianity itself, few other symbols as well recognized throughout the world being so readily seen and comprehended by those seeing them.
That symbol is honored in temples of worship, cathedrals of vast magnitude, in tiny chapels and churches world over, as well in art work created by master artists, both in well-known paintings and statues of various size, beautiful jewelry of gold and silver, precious metals ensconced with precious stones, or of simple wooden artwork that is worn, as well as in song and literature, far too often without thought as to the meaning the symbol it is intended to convey.
Without comprehension of what was given on that cross, the symbol itself becomes distorted and meaningless.
That cross that is honored, in and of itself was a means of execution used by a society that made example of those executed by its use.
In and of itself, it was and remains two rough cut timbers of wood, cobbled together to display to one and all the result of having in some way offended those in control of the governance of nations that had been conquered, a means of relegating shame, as well as punishment for “crimes committed”.
Today, the use of that cross continues for the same reasons it was instituted and used by those past “civilizations” as Christianity is persecuted by still other “civilizations” finding fault where none is to be found.
When Jesus was crucified, those doing so sought justification for doing so, and continue attempting that justification still today.
That crucifixion was, however, different from all others before and since, in that there was no justification.
The only crime committed was the rejection of what was and is the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE, given us by God.
The importance of that cross lies not in itself, but in the sacrifice given, the innocent blood shed upon it for the crimes of all mankind, crimes not against man, nor man’s governance, but against God himself that required that blood sacrifice.

The Old Rugged Cross

“On a hill far away, stood an old rugged Cross
The emblem of suffering and shame
And I love that old Cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain
So I'll cherish the old rugged Cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down
I will cling to the old rugged Cross
And exchange it some day for a crown
Oh, that old rugged Cross so despised by the world
Has a wondrous attraction for me
For the dear Lamb of God, left his Glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary
So I'll cherish the old rugged Cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down
I will cling to the old rugged Cross
And exchange it some day for a crown
In the old rugged Cross, stained with blood so divine
A wondrous beauty I see
For the dear Lamb of God, left his Glory above
To pardon and sanctify me
So I'll cherish the old rugged Cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down
I will cling to the old rugged Cross
And exchange it some day for a crown
To the old rugged Cross, I will ever be true
Its shame and reproach gladly bear
Then He'll call me some day to my home far away
Where his glory forever I'll share
So I'll cherish the old rugged Cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down
I will cling to the old rugged Cross
And exchange it some day for a crown”

That cross, intended to bring an end to the ministry and teachings of God’s Son by those who used it as an instrument of execution, became a beginning instead, of what is intended by God for us when the death that came on it was overcome by the resurrection and ascension of its intended victim.
The cross was a necessity for that resurrection to occur, and a necessity for the delivery of the promise of eternal life that came through its use.
That cross’ significance remains only in its symbolism of rejection or acceptance of what was given us.
It is not only about the cross. It is only about the salvation made available through that cross. 
It is about Jesus!
With acceptance of the grace given through that cross, what it symbolizes to the believer holds the significance of the promise delivered not only by His Sacrifice, but by the resurrection that is assuredly far more than a mere symbol


2 Timothy 1:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Amen and Amen


the Wayfarer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day