Wayfaring Stranger... the Wayfarer 15/2/18

Wayfaring Stranger
15/2/18
John 15:16-20 King James Version (KJV)
16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
Today, I choose a title from a song I have long loved, even before ever having heard the words sung, loved then for the beauty of the haunting notes that comprised a melody that would not leave my head until I could play them myself, even if badly so on the first guitar I owned.
It wasn’t until much later that that song was recognized by me to be the “old spiritual” whose words were reflected in those notes, equally beautiful, also refusing to be forgotten, giving comfort many times through the years in many and varied situations throughout the travels necessitated by the profession chosen that by nature allowed only for further wayfaring.
It described that young soldier perfectly, and still describes this older, still aging preacher with that same perfection, as all that I may ever be while in this world, in this body is a mere sojourner among an alien world, wayfarer in that world making the journey home.
“I am a poor wayfaring stranger, traveling through this world of woe;
There is no sickness, toil nor danger, in that bright land, to which I go.
I’m going there to meet my father, I’m going there no more to roam;
Just a going over Jordan, just a going on over home.
I know dark clouds will gather o’er me, I know my pathway’s rough and steep;
But golden fields lie out before me, where God’s redeemed no more shall weep.
I’m going there to meet my mother, she said she’d meet me when I come;
I’m only going over Jordan, I’m only going over home.
There I will wear a crown of glory, when I get home to that bright land;
There I shall sing salvation’s story, in concert with the blood washed band.
I’m going there to meet my Savior, who shed for me His precious blood,
I’m only going over Jordan, I’m just a going on over home.”
From time to time we must be reminded that our journey is only that, a journey!
It is easy to be placated by things along the way, to be distracted, to become apathetic and lose the zeal that carries us through that journey. It is easy to forget that our citizenship is not with those among whom we sojourn, and that things held important by them hold no value at the end of the journey, but, in fact, hamper that journey if we become more focused on those things than on the journey itself.
Whether it be the politics of the time, or the incessant cries for equality among those refusing to take that same journey, or whether it be the temptation of the glittering fool’s gold and false reward offered along the way, reminder is needed that the real prize, the real peace, the real joy at the end of that journey may only be obtained at its end.
Enmity with the world, and all that it offers is a natural state for any who would complete that journey, requiring that the pathway, rough and steep as it may be continue to be followed to its end.
Matthew 7:12-14
12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Continuance on that path requires recognition of that path, adherence to its restrictions despite all the offered detours and gew-gaws that present themselves along the way.
That path has been established for us, as has the destination to which it leads by God…not by those among whom we sojourn.
Along the way, we are expected to assist others in finding that path, to accompany them as far as is possible, and to let them know of the existence of that path and Who blazed the trail for us to begin with.
It was far more difficult for Jesus to make the path visible than for us to follow, and follow we must if we are to arrive at the intended destination.
As we traverse the course set out before us, we must proclaim the gospel of Christ Jesus, His love, His sacrificial crucifixion, His resurrection, His promise and His warning as well, if that path is to be seen and followed by others.
Eyes on the prize!

2 Timothy 1:12
12For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day
Amen and amen
the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day