“Feed My Sheep!” the Wayfarer 12/31/13


“Feed My Sheep!”


“So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.

He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him Feed my sheep.

He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things, thou Knowest I love thee. Jesus saith unto him. Feed my sheep.

(John 21: 15-17)


I began today’s dissertation with words that haunt me constantly, both in the light of day as I progress down the path set before me, and in the dreams that plague me at night when the realization of any failure besets me.

These words, from Jesus, should, and do, haunt any and all, called to share His love within a world that refuses to acknowledge and recognize that love.  

   It is an often unwelcome task, both tedious and tiring, requiring complete concentration and every ounce of energy available to complete.

 It is also a task far more rewarding than any other than that, that may be given to those given it.

I myself, have often found, and still find succor in the feasts that I find given by others, most often when I am in the most need!

 It is important to be among God’s people, and to listen… not only to have an opportunity to feed, but to be fed as well!

Jesus continued His discussion with Peter with the following:

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch fort thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldst not.

This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.

(John, 21:18 &19)


More words to haunt and completely envelop me and others.

Following includes far more than just walking in the shadow of the one leading, and entails going where one is led by a Master that has the knowledge and control of the final destination.

We are not given a choice of where or how to serve, nor are we given a choice in what manner that service may be acceptable and most beneficial.

None of this matters, what does matter is that that service be given, and be given by each according to what has been given them.

Each of us, born into this world is given something that needs to be shared with the rest of those around us.

When we refuse to share what is given us, we fail to live up to the commandment Jesus gave us to love one another.

Love is given to all of us; therefore, our love is to be shared with all.

 It is the expression of and sharing of that love that makes any life worthwhile.

Peter went on to share that love given him with the entire known world. He shared it throughout the remainder of his life, and even through the means of his death.

The strength and resolve needed to be able to share that love was, and is found only in the Master he served, and that same Master I attempt in such a small way, to serve myself.

The rewards for that service are far greater than the service given could ever merit, and are to be sought more diligently than any other rewards perceived on this earth, in this imperfect, “flesh  suit,” as a close friend of mine defines our temporal and temporary body.

Those rewards await any willing to accept them, and come with no price but that defined by my Lord simply to:

“Repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

It is only when that repentance is given, that the service may begin, it is only then that the feast set at the table becomes apparent, and the need to bring others to that table is comprehended.

Like Peter, I often find myself in a position of being where I would far rather not be, facing those who refuse to listen, giving that, which is spurned  by those failing to recognize the value of what is being offered.

Like Peter, as I age, I find the need to rely on others instead of my own abilities to get where I would rather be, and I find comfort in the knowledge that even in any infirmity, I am placed where God intends me to be, whether it is my desire to be there or not!

Like Peter, I constantly hear those words continue to echo over the centuries, and know that if the sheep are to be fed, someone needs to see to the feeding. Just as I once chopped ice to assure the needs of the livestock were met during subzero weather when I was a youngster, there is now a need to continue to chop at the ice with which I am met by a society that doesn’t even realize its own hunger and thirst.

That hunger and thirst must be identified and filled before the ice melts and the temperature increases beyond tolerance, as it must, if that hunger and thirst goes unidentified and unfulfilled.

 I pray, that each that I come into contact with, find and recognize that hunger and thirst, and that God give me the means to accomplish the task given me to “Feed HIS sheep”

As for myself, I shall continue to dine at the table He sets before me, and enjoy every morsel I am privileged to be given.

I will attempt to share His love, and what He has available to any and all who choose to listen, to trust, and to obey.

 I will, as I must, remain nothing more, nor less, than that same simple sinner, saved by His grace through my faith in Him, and though an unworthy soldier in His service, one who will serve until He deems me worthy of returning to the table waiting for me that is never emptied, never barren, and never without the presence of His love.

2 Timothy 1:12
12For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

AMEN and AMEN
the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day