One More Valley...the Wayfarer 9/1/16


One More Valley
 9/1/16

Psalm 23King James Version (KJV)
23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Once more I return to a quite familiar scripture with which to open.
A song of praise, once accompanied with the music played by a simple shepherd boy, later magnified and amplified by the life and accomplishment of that unknown boy from a family of shepherds who became king of Israel.
That shepherd boy crossed many valleys and hills in his journey from the unknown to the pinnacle of his anointing as king, then continued to cross even more of those valleys and hills, through the depths of despair to the heights of both glory and joy.
When called before the prophet, he had no idea of what lay in store, nor did he question it, simply accepting the will of God and trusting the wisdom of God to accomplish His intended purpose for him.
Today’s title is a reminder that each of us must continue our own journey, as did young David, from beginning to end, and that if we do so keeping the same trust in that same wisdom that assisted him, the journey may provide surprises, but the true prize lies at its end.

One More Valley

When I'm tossed on life sea and the waves cover me
        And the dark clouds won't let the sun shine through
     Then a voice seems to say child there will be a brighter day
 Don't allow the storm to hide Sweet Heavens' view

                   Cause you've got one more valley one more hill
   One more trial one more tear one more curve in life's road
Maybe one more mile to go then you can lay down your heavy load
         When you get home

                                       
Don't let Satan see your tears learn to smile through your fears
Hold your head up high and give the world a smile
 You must be faithful all the way twill be worth it all someday
For it's all going to be over after a while
                       
You can lay down your heavy load when you get home

David stumbled and fell, got up, was knocked down, got up, was made weary and fearful, overcame all obstacles that presented themselves on his journey, and though his own plans never came to fruition, God’s plan came to fruition as he remembered to give repentance for his failures and sins, remembered to continue to give praise and glory to God alone despite the many overwhelming challenges that he faced.
He recognized that he did so, not of his own volition and ability, but through the volition and ability of God, Whom no one may keep from the completion of His plan.
David was one of many who came to that comprehension, that realization, and submitted.
It was only through that very submission that any success was, and is to be attained.
Paul, in his letter to the Philippians came to the same conclusion:

Philippians 4King James Version (KJV)
4 Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved.
I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.
And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.
Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.
Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.
11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Paul too, recognized wherein any strength lies, and where he had to go to attain it.
His life was, in some ways the reverse of that of the shepherd boy who became king.
He was the respected and wealthy Pharisee who became impoverished and despised to attain a far more worthy wealth, and a far more worthy prize than the wealth left behind.

Twists and turns, unexpected, unanticipated, sometimes unwelcomed comprise the depths of the valleys making the hills to climb seem insurmountable, the goal distant, the prize unobtainable, as it is, for any who relies on the plans created within the tunnel vision created by themselves, instead of accepting the WAY, the TRUTH of that WAY, and the LIFE that awaits at the end of the journey for those willing to continue that journey in the WAY given.

Luke 18:26-30
26 And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?
27 And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.
28 Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.
29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.
Jesus spoke these words to Peter and the others gathered, and to us as well as reminder that faith is a requirement, and that grace abounds only through that faith.
The abundance of that grace allows the traversal of any and all valleys, and hills that may be tiring, but never insurmountable with the faith that we are not alone in the journey, but have the constant assistance of our Lord, for the asking…when asked… in faith…believing!
We are given promise, it is ours to choose to believe, choose to accept, to choose to maintain faith in…I believe!
I believe, not in the worthiness of any plan of my own, but in the plan given by God through the life, ministry, sacrificial death on a cross and resurrection of my Savior who alone is the completion of that plan intended to be followed.
Being repetitious,
2 Timothy 1:12King James Version (KJV)
12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Amen and Amen
the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day