Pass me Not...the Wayfarer 6/8/16


Pass me Not
 6/8/16

Luke 23:38-43 King James Version (KJV)
38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, This Is The King Of The Jews.
39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Jesus’ concern for the “less than righteous” was constantly apparent, from the outset of His ministry to the day of His crucifixion.
His gentle love was equally apparent, alongside the forgiveness given despite past sins, once repentance and belief were shown.
Jesus consummately hated sin, as does God. Sin in any form was and is unacceptable, requiring first its recognition of being sin by the sinner, and repentance being given for it by that sinner to attain forgiveness.
The “malefactors” that were crucified alongside Jesus exemplifies the two choices that have been available to man since the fall of Adam, to accept God’s TRUTH, or to deny that TRUTH believing in man’s “truth”.
An old invitational hymn from my youth, still heard from time to time, but far less frequently, is a prayer for the same remembrance asked by the “malefactor” that chose God’s truth, as he too hung from a cross, albeit one well earned by his own doing.
Written by Fanny J. Crosby, who penned so many of the words to the hymns familiar to those of us hearing them, along with W. Doane whose contribution of the haunting and lovely strains of music that remind us of those words, it once was a staple within country church houses throughout the nation, continually reminding us of the free pardon of any and all sin available on request to the requestor having faith and belief enough to make that simple request.

Pass Me Not O Gentle Savior
“Pass me not, O gentle Savior, hear my humble cry;
while on others thou art calling, do not pass me by.
Refrain:
Savior, Savior, hear my humble cry;
while on others thou art calling,
do not pass me by.

2. Let me at thy throne of mercy find a sweet relief,
kneeling there in deep contrition; help my unbelief.
(Refrain)

3. Trusting only in thy merit, would I seek thy face;
heal my wounded, broken spirit, save me by thy grace.
(Refrain)

4. Thou the spring of all my comfort, more than life to me,
whom have I on earth beside thee? Whom in heaven but thee?
(Refrain)”

The “humble cry” must be given before it may be heard! Without that cry, the choice made by the second malefactor to deny Christ is made.
Without petition, there may be no petitioner.
Like the “thief’ who chose to make that petition from his own cross, comprehension must first come, and acknowledgement be given to the fact of guilt in the sight of God, without regard to the considered opinion of men, and the absolute innocence of the One that was sacrificed to make that petition heard by His Father.
The “Whosoever” spoken of by Jesus in John 3:16, must first become that whosoever in fact, in complete and total belief, not mere acknowledgement for the purposes of the moment, only to forget once that purpose is momentarily attained.
The relief of that contrition is permanent, if that contrition is for the sins of a lifetime, not just contrition for the circumstances in which the petitioner finds himself at that particular moment.
The merit trusted in must be the merit of the Sacrifice that was given through Christ Jesus, not in the merit of redemptive deed or action taken by self alone…the merit trusted must be the merit of the Grace given through that sacrifice that acknowledges the lack of merit of the petitioner!
As so well stated by Paul, it is through grace we are redeemed by faith in Him, not in ourselves, and any “works” follow are simply what is a just debt being paid to others, not being paid as a means of validating our ticket, or as another brother of mine so eloquently states, “our fire insurance policy.”
The desire to share the benefits of that “fire insurance policy” becomes innate and preeminent in both thought and action once it is obtained…payment has already been made in full, by Him, for ALL willing to see the need for that payment having been made.
Remebrance is given that that “policy” is a gift of God, not something purchased by us, but already purchased by Him.
Any one feeling that they are not good enough to attain that “policy” is perfectly correct in that assumption…. NO ONE is ever or was ever good enough to attain it on their own… that is why it was purchased for us by HIM through HIS blood for OUR redemption.

Revelation 3:18-22 King James Version (KJV)
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

The knock on the door has been administered, Jesus comes calling, and will never pass by anyone willing to receive Him.
He will only pass by the doors that continue to be barred by the choice of having refused to hear and heed both the warnings given, and having refused the promise made those willing to accept.


2 Timothy 1:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
Amen and Amen
the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day