“Who’s Driving the Bus?”...the Wayfarer 12/9/13


“Who’s Driving the Bus?”
12/9/13

“Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands:

Sing forth the honor of his name; make his praise glorious.

Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works! Through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies submit themselves unto thee,

(Psalm 66:1-3)

“Have you lost it, preacher? How could your title have anything to do with the quoted text?”

Hopefully, both text and title will begin to make sense by the time I complete this particular dissertation.

As I stated in an earlier sermon, the US Army and I reached an amicable separation in 1977, and my intent was to become a “typical” civilian, and live a life that was easier than that of remaining in the Army.

This short lived experiment came to an end as I found myself in southern California, working as a technician for a growing local electronics  company.

Then, as now, I let my hair grow back out from the “white walls”, endured but not appreciated, in an age where the style was to grow it longer and longer.

The beard too, then as now, covered my face, again a social thing, I suppose, in an attempt to fit into the society in which I found myself.

I was quite happy with my life. The job was great; the people I worked with were friendly, hours were not excessive, compensation more than adequate.

A good bit of the off time was spent enjoying the sun and beaches of the area, just hanging out with friends, and being young again.

Then, as now, I somehow could not refrain from being the news addict, though not quite as addicted as later in life.

The news of the day back then involved a Russian incursion into Afghanistan, and immediately caught the attention of the young civilian.

 My thoughts turned from the friends and the pleasures of the day, to other friends, still in uniform, still having a greater purpose than that which I was serving where I was.

I remembered all the poor leadership I had encountered over the past few years, the results of McNamara’s 200,000, and the devastation of that leadership, inevitably influenced by it.

Quite contrary to my plans for my life, I began to question, “Who’s driving the bus?”

Somewhere, in the previous four years, I had heard the Army described as a juggernaut, being piloted by idiots. In many instances I agreed, thus the amicable separation.

 It was like a bus, being driven for the benefit of the passengers, with a destination only known to the driver, and only as capable of reaching that destination, as the competence of that driver.


To this day, I do not comprehend why my thought process forced me to ask the question of who was driving that bus, and if  I was intended to be on board as more than a passenger.

After having gnawed on this for a while, I woke up one morning, looked into a mirror that reflected someone I didn’t truly want to be.

I shaved, went to a barbershop, lost the curly locks, so jealously and lovingly grown… and met with a Recruiter who most happily put me back in boots!

It was who I was, and where I needed to be, until God was through with me being there. I had a purpose that involved a whole lot more lives than my own paltry existence.

We each have a purpose in life. We all often question that purpose, and being the hardheaded creatures we are, go about trying to avoid that purpose, and replace it with what we think we may want at the time.

My point is that we are not just passengers on a bus, but we have to choose the driver for ourselves if the destination is to be reached that best delivers the results of a life intended for us by God.

If we choose Jesus as the driver, then we are also required to remember that He is in charge, as is the intent of the opening verse.

We need to let the entire bus know that we have faith in that driver, honor him and give praise for each of the rest stops he gives us along the way, but carefully assuring that we are back on the bus before it departs that rest stop.

The remainder of the 66th chapter of Psalms, with which I opened, gives glory and praise, and is but one of many passages speaking of the glory and power of God.

It is that power, we need to keep in mind in our daily walk, carefully weighing each decision, with the knowledge that we are either help or hindrance to the plan set in motion to accomplish our own unique purpose in our lives.

As we travel, our decisions will affect all with whom  we come into contact, positively, or negatively… again our choice.

If we keep to the forefront of our mind the single commandment to love one another, given by the One who should be our “Driver”, then the result of the journey will have been worthy of the time invested… if not then perhaps we’re on the wrong bus and  time draws shorter each day to change busses to get where we want to!

Hopefully I have made sense of both the text, and context of what has been intended to be conveyed.

It is no more, and no less than that, redemption through repentance is always possible if you are but willing to look in that mirror, ask who’s driving the bus, and am I really going where I intended.

Add to this question that of whether the passengers accompanying us are also on the right bus, ticket having been bought that is irrevocable for the duration of the journey to our destination.

That ticket was purchased at the cost of invaluable love and grace through the shed blood of our Savior, Christ Jesus, Whose ability to get us from our starting point to the final destination shared by all in the light of the Father's grace and love.

His ability to get us there is without question, and should never be questioned.

Trust , and belief in that ability MUST keep us on that bus no matter how alluring the rest stops along the way, Attention to the lengths of time spent at those rest stops must be carefully given so that none are left behind when the departure time is announced.

Each passenger needs to remind his fellows of the importance of remaining on that schedule if they are to arrive along with you at the intended destination.

In other words, we ARE our brother's keeper,  with a responsibility to assist them along each step of that journey, even though it inconvenience us, our inconvenience paltry when placed along side what has been paid for the price of that precious ticket!

It is our responsibility to give careful attention to the "Driver" so that we do not miss all important instructions being given along the way regarding those rest stops.

Though we are not driving the bus, and are incapable of doing so, we Are more than mere passengers sleeping throughout the distance to be traveled, as that would deny us the pleasure of the beauty of the scenery, and leave us unaware of all the dangers to be faced along the way.

I urge all to check the ticket carefully, then carefully consider the driver as well to assure that the correct bus is being taken!

I close once more, as always, with the true love and prayers for all who take the time to read this, still nothing more than a simple sinner, saved by grace through faith in my Lord, and humble soldier in his service.


2 Timothy 1:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Amen and Amen
the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day