Peace in knowing God

Peace in Knowing God

My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word. Mine eyes fail for thy word, saying, When wilt thou comfort me?” (Psalm 119:81-82)

We all have our eye on some special thing that we cannot obtain but we long to possess. Boats, cars, diamonds and pearls, “man toys” of all description. That’s a sample of how we should long for a complete relationship with the Lord. While physical wants of the flesh may be unobtainable Our craving and reaching out to God is absolutely assured by God Himself. We must reveal our longing for His word and follow its direction. And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.” Those who demonstrate that they “love the LORD” with all their heart, soul, and might (Deuteronomy 6:5) and those who seek the kingdom of God (Matthew 6:33 (But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”) A lukewarm attitude toward God will never gain His attention. One must deeply long to “understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God” (Proverbs 2:5).

Yet in spite of such longing, the saints of God are often perplexed by their waiting on the Lord and the apparent success of the wicked. This psalmist is no exception:
  • When wilt thou comfort me?” (Psalm 119:82).
  • I am become like a bottle in the smoke” (v. 83).
  • When wilt thou execute judgment on them that persecute me?” (v. 84).
  • The proud have digged pits for me” (v. 85).
  • They persecute me wrongfully” (v. 86).
  • They had almost consumed me upon the earth” (v.87).
Wow, sounds like a pity party. We are to focus upon the needs of others, especially lost souls. If we focus upon ourselves we appear self-centered and alien to our Savior. Among all the heartfelt complaints, however, is the continual reliance on the promises and principles of God’s Word. He promised not to forget the statutes, though he felt invisible to God (Matthew 6:3)
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
(Psalms 119:83
 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you And though he knew that his days are not guaranteed, he expected God to judge the wicked (Psalms 119;84 How many are the days of thy servant? when wilt thou execute judgment on them that persecute me?
(Matthew 6:3
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof). He knew the “commandments are faithful,” and he promised the Lord that he would not forsake the precepts (Psalms 85-87 The proud have digged pits for me, which are not after thy law.
86 All thy commandments are faithful: they persecute me wrongfully; help thou me87They had almost consumed me upon earth; but I forsook not thy precepts.” This final request should be ours as well: “Quicken me [enliven, revive] after thy loving kindness” (v. 88). Even though God “hast shewed me great and sore troubles,” the confidence is that God “shalt quicken me again” (Psalm 71:20). On the basis of that assurance, our response should be like this godly man’s: “So shall I keep the testimony of thy mouth” (Psalm 119:88).
David writes of his deep longing for knowing God and having peace. (Psalms 119: 40 Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness.”) David knew that to Know God was to know peace. Amen 12-26-2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

Know Peace