Lord, I’m Coming Home...the Wayfarer 9/19/16

Image result for prodigal son art

Lord, I’m Coming Home
9/19/16

1 Timothy 2
King James Version (KJV)
2 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
Supplications, prayers, intercession and giving of thanks for ALL men,  a rather inclusive statement made by brother Paul in this epistle to Timothy, remains one of inclusiveness, still today.
Even more inclusive, the statement of the intent of God, Who would have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth, also remains equally inclusive today.
Perhaps repetitive, perhaps even trite in nature, I would also include scripture that divulges the extent of that intent, the extent of that love, the extent of that infinite patience exhibited by God given us in a parable by Jesus that, though well known and often heard in sermons around this and other nations, is too often heard and forgotten, the many lessons to be taken from it, watered down, disregarded, or misinterpreted intentionally, by those whose wish is to avoid the TRUTH mentioned by brother Paul.

Luke 15:11-32
King James Version (KJV)
11 And he said, A certain man had two sons:
12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.
14 And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.
15 And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.
16 And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.
17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.
26 And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.
27 And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.
28 And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him.
29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:
30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.
31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.
Despite the fact that this piece of scripture applies to each and every human in existence, each stubborn and self willed creature that cannot help but to have found themselves at some point, in some way, prodigal, too many remain self centered and have far too much affinity with the brother who remained behind, instead of affinity with the father, whose compassion is the very point of this lesson given us by our Savior.
There must be repentance given, as did the younger of the brothers, to receive the redemption given him, but once that redemption is given, compassion and welcome is demanded, joy for the return is demanded rather than recrimination for having gone the chosen direction that led to the need of that repentance.
Today’s title hymn is one that applies, as does the parable given us to each who has given that repentance, and should give cause to search for those who have not so that they too may return.

Lord, I’m coming home

I’ve wandered far away from God,
Now I’m coming home;
The paths of sin too long I’ve trod,
Lord, I’m coming home.
o   Refrain:
Coming home, coming home,
Nevermore to roam;
Open wide Thine arms of love,
Lord, I’m coming home.
2.    I’ve wasted many precious years,
Now I’m coming home;
I now repent with bitter tears,
Lord, I’m coming home.
3.    I’m tired of sin and straying, Lord,
Now I’m coming home;
I’ll trust Thy love, believe Thy word,
Lord, I’m coming home.
4.    My soul is sick, my heart is sore,
Now I’m coming home;
My strength renew, my hope restore,
Lord, I’m coming home.
5.    My only hope, my only plea,
Now I’m coming home;
That Jesus died, and died for me,
Lord, I’m coming home.
6.    I need His cleansing blood I know,
Now I’m coming home;
Oh, wash me whiter than the snow,
Lord, I’m coming home.

These words, when spoken in sincerity and in truth are a joyful sound to God, though the joy for the one giving them comes only through the sorrow of having found the truth that demands them.

Luke 15:1-10King James Version (KJV)
15 Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.
And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.
And he spake this parable unto them, saying,
What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?
And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.
10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.
What is joyful to God and the angels must be joyful to us as well!
That joy is not to be found in the pigstyes, nor in the reveling that forced the young brother to come to that place, but in the return from that depth of despair that brought him home where he belonged, where the love awaited him.
Not all are willing to return before having reached that depth of separation that forces recognition of just how far they have managed to separate themselves from the love that awaits them. Not all are even willing to leave the pigsty, choosing to remain there rather than to admit the necessity for repentance.
The love remains available to them despite that unwillingness, but must be recognized for being love before it will be accepted.
Some may even return to that pigsty, choosing once more to squander the love given…. Even that does not diminish the love exemplified by the Savior, whose parable remains lesson for both sons, both needing that lesson to recognize the love offered, whether accepted or not.
Sin will remain sin, whether forgiven or not, and may only be forgiven when repentance is given, but once that repentance is given it is forgotten and the homecoming is most joyous indeed!


2 Timothy 1:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
Amen and Amen
the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

Know Peace