GOD REACHED WAY BELOW THE BOTTOM

Image result for jesus reaching out art

GOD REACHED WAY BELOW THE BOTTOM

Psalm 139
King James Version (KJV)
139 O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.
Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.
Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.
21 Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Today I return to familiar scripture, often turned to, as an opening reminder of the grace delivered us through the sacrifice of Christ Jesus, and the power of that grace delivered through His resurrection and continuing love and mediation for us.
There is an old and familiar secular song that states “There aint no mountain high enough, aint no valley low enough, aint nor river wide enough” to separate the author of that song from the one he loves.
Though a beautiful, and endearing sentiment, it is still inadequate to express the love shown us by God, Who went a bit farther than the confines of earthly barriers to prove His love for us.
The depths of that love are also expressed in the title hymn chosen, and its words that express not only the human perception of love, but the forgiveness that is a part of that love, an exhibition of that very grace delivered us by Christ Jesus, a love that continues despite any perceived merit or worthiness that is lacking in us.

GOD REACHED WAY BELOW THE BOTTOM



CHORUS:
God reached way below the bottom and took my hand
He didn't care if I was the world's most foolish man.
He took my heart, He took my soul, He took my mind.
God reached way below the bottom for me that night.
1. God saw me and He knew about my weakness,
And He knew that I was sinking deep in sin.
He heard my prayer, He saw the tears of all my loved ones
God reached way below the bottom for me that night.
CHORUS:
2. I took His hand, He lifted Me out of darkness
He took His blood, His precious blood and washed me clean.
He took my fear, He took my pain, He took my sorrow.
God reached way below the bottom for me that night.
CHORUS:
God’s love for this creation of His has been shown despite all the failings, despite the stubbornness, recalcitrance, rebelliousness, and wickedness that presented itself in Adam, and presents itself ever more obviously through his progeny still inhabiting the space created for him.
That love takes all the failure, all of the characteristic lack of the return of that love, and offers redemption to each and all without regard to any past decision or choice of path if only repentance is given and that love is accepted.
Time after time the blessings of that love have been offered, the joy extended, the promise illustrated and delivered to those willing to simply heed the warning given.
Nation after nation has rejected both warning and blessing; and still the offer remains extended and waiting for the few that choose to accept.
We are asked so little in return for so much, yet, far more refuse than accept what has been offered.
God reached below the bottom, using imperfect men such as we all are, to show what is possible when that imperfection is allowed to be perfected through His love for us.
From the very cross where Jesus made the perfect sacrifice, imperfection was perfected through the simple acceptance of His perfection, the promise made and fulfilled despite that imperfection…. And one malefactor chose acceptance of that promise, while another chose rejection.
Luke 23:39-43
King James Version (KJV)
39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
Simple acceptance of who we really are, and Who He really is demands acceptance of the message preached, both through HIS words, and HIS life, simple faith in HIS ability to deliver on the promise made, acceptance of the love offered us is adequate.
That love provides for life eternal, joy eternal, the perfection of the imperfect…when accepted.
Paul wrote that he was chiefest among sinners, yet that imperfection could not and cannot separate him, nor any from the love given us.
Hope exists for the hopeless, Help for the helpless, Love for the unloved. That Hope, Help, and Love remain available with the certainty of delivery, and surety of attainment only through the grace and salvation offered by Christ Jesus.
The hand of God has been extended for the final time to provide that salvation through the love offered, given, and demanded by Christ, and that Hand knows no depth that is unreachable, no height unobtainable, no width uncrossable, except rejection and refusal to accept when offered.
2 Corinthians 6:2
King James Version (KJV)
(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
Whether from the bottom of the pits of despair, or the heights of seeming success, we have been heard, we have been comforted, consoled and given the promise.
It remains only a choice of accepting the offered Hand or rejecting it and remaining forever in those depths by choice of refusal, a choice that denies WAY, TRUTH, and LIFE, instead of assuring the perfection of what is still offered.
As for myself, I have made my choice!
2 Timothy 1:12
King James Version (KJV)
12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
Amen and Amen
CMc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

Why