He Whispers Sweet Peace...the Wayfarer 7/1/16



He Whispers Sweet Peace
7/1/16

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
Psalm 139:7 & 8

In a time in which anger, retribution, vengeance, fear, and consternation rule the airwaves, division and separation are at the forefront of all news that permeates those very airwaves continually attempting to negate a peace that cannot be negated if only it is sought and the whisper of a still small voice is heard above the surrounding uproar of a chaos instilled and created by men.
Once more an old hymn came to mind this morning, along with memories of a small country church and the people who gathered there during my childhood.
Among them was a precious, and often precocious lady who, through the years embarrassed me with the reminder of how long she has known both me and my family.
She still does so each time she reminds me of the fact that she often baby sat me, having known my parents and grandparents before I was conceived.
I consider her both friend and mentor, yet and still, and remember well that the old hymn used for today’s title is one so often requested by her, and one that brought a beautiful harmony to the confines of the walls of that little church for so many years.
He Whispers Sweet Peace to Me
Sometime when misgivings darken the day
And faith's light I cannot see
I ask my dear Lord to brighten the way
He whispers sweet peace to me (to me)

Chorus:
He whispers sweet peace to me (yes He whispers to me)
He whispers sweet peace to me (He whispers sweet peace to me)
When I am cast down in spirit and soul
He whispers sweet peace to me (to me)

He speaks through His word, assurance He gives
I'm His and I know He's mine
And safe in the fold my soul He will keep
I'll rest in His love divine (divine)

Repeat Chorus (x2)

That whisper, though too often drowned out by the noise of a world in denial of that peace, remains available despite that noise for any willing to listen to the Voice, Whose whisper is far louder when heard by the heart of the listener.
David heard that whisper, and gave credence to the Voice, despite the turmoil and trouble he faced so often during his life.
Rather than simply ignore the remainder of what was said by him in that Psalm  from which the opening verses were taken, the remainder of that psalm should also be examined, and mined for the wealth of what was given through it as well.
Psalm 139 King James Version (KJV)
139 O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.
Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.
Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.
21 Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

The peace found by David was in the surety of the outcome of any battle faced….FAITH!
It is only that same surety, that same FAITH that may bring that whisper of peace in acknowledgement that the battles being fought have already been won, the outcome predetermined despite man’s unwillingness to accept that outcome.
If we are to hear the whisper, then we too must make the same request made by David, hold to the same tenets held by David, and rely on the same solace given David.
That solace can only be expressed and expected through Christ Jesus, Whose model prayer, prayed fervently and sincerely will provide that whispered peace.
Matthew 6:9-13 King James Version (KJV)
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Remembrance must be given to Whom the Voice whispering belongs before it may be heard. Remembrance must be given to Whose will is important. Remembrance must be given as to what debts are owed, by whom, and that they are our debts, not His.
Once memory kicks in, once the sincerity is established, then the whisper of peace will always be louder than the cacophony of those attempting to drown the whisper.


2 Timothy 1:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
God’s will will be done!
God’s plan will come to fruition.
God’s plan has been finalized and will not change!
Jesus came to assure the knowledge of  the Way to that peace, the Truth of that peace and the Life in which that peace may be found.



John 14:23-31
23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.
30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.
31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

Amen and Amen
the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day