Last Words...the Wayfarer 5/24/13


See the source image

“Last  Words”
5/24/13

“Now these be the last words of David. David the son of Jesse said, and the man who was raised up on high, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel said,

The Spirit of the Lord spake by me, and his word was in my tongue,

The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.

And he shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds; as the tender grass springing out of the earth by clear shining after the rain.

Although my house be not so with God: yet he hath made me with an everlasting covenant, ordered in all things, and sure: for this is all my salvation and all my desire, although he make it not to grow.

But the sons of Belial shall be all of them as thorns thrust away, because they cannot be taken with hands:
But the man that shall touch them must be fenced with iron and the staff of a spear; and they shall be utterly burned with fire in the same place.
(2 Samuel 23:1-7)

David is, and has always been, one of the great heroes from the scripture that not only fascinates me, but to whom I look for guidance, in a way to negotiate the path my Lord sets out in front of me each day.


This is partially due to his many great accomplishments during his life, but also due to the failures we find that plagued him, and the humanity that is shown in that same life.

The opening scripture today comes between the words of a beautiful passage of thanksgiving, and a listing of the mighty warriors commanded by this king.

I would again urge the reader to read more than the bits I give you and back track to the 22d chapter for those wonderful words of praise and thanksgiving that came before this passage, and to also read through those words that follow it detailing those warriors and some of their accomplishments. I exclude them here only for the brevity required in order to achieve the point I hope to make with this dissertation.

David tells us that All his inspiration and ability came from God. He gave due credit where it belonged, not seeking to elevate himself above his creator!

He goes on to tell us that God directed him in HOW   to be the leader that God wanted him to be, and that he MUST rule in the fear of God!

He goes on to say that as long as he follows the guidance given by God, the effects of his leadership can only bring a blessing on his nation.

As I already stated, David was human, he made mistakes. He realized this fact and goes on to say that despite his own failings, God was still in charge, and honored the covenant, just as He had promised.

  Again David gives credit and thanks to our Lord with a statement that is quoted often throughout other scriptures and is precious to me as well.
“For this is my salvation, and  all my desire, although he make it not to grow”

David was speaking of His kingdom, but the statement has applications to today’s world and our nation as well as others today.

Nations cannot grow, in either size or wealth, nor can they grow in peace and prosperity of their people without the constant attention to and adherence to God’s word and will!

When any nation’s leadership ignores the laws that God has given that leadership, it cannot result in blessing, but must end with a curse upon its people.

That leadership must be the first to adhere to truth, no matter how inconvenient it may be to the individual, if the nation is to live in truth and prosper.

Deviation from this offers none of the clarity that is promised by the scripture I quote, but in fact obfuscates the morals and laws that lead to the promised prosperity.

Corruption at the highest levels will, and can only, filter down through all the bureaus and subsets of that leadership, all the way down to the individual citizens of a nation. 

This is the obverse of what God expects from His people, and the obverse of statements I have made in the past about how a single individual can make positive change within our society and in fact the world.

When a people accept leadership that continually lies to them, and then when caught tells them that it was for their benefit, evil gains a foothold that grows its roots only deeper and expands until it is the norm for that people.

Acceptance comes in two separate ways; Active and passive.

Active acceptance of that evil is readily apparent in the lives, philosophies and politics of those who promote it, and denigrate the precepts given us by our Lord.  Those who actively participate in that evil can be easily recognized if one only look at, and listen carefully to what is being said and promoted.

Passive acceptance is something to be feared far more than this first category. The only way that This Evil can expand is for those who know better to simply stand by and allow it to happen despite the knowledge of the need to resist.

The failure of God’s people (Christians) to speak out and be heard, can only and will only, lead to their continued persecution, and the attempt to eliminate all semblance of morality, and result in God removing all blessing from that people because of that failure.

We have the guidance given us throughout both old and new Testaments as to what is expected of us…..We have proof of the blessings available through following that guidance…..We are given advanced warning of what to expect when that guidance is discarded for the teachings and desires of a sinful people.

Before I close, I leave you with some other last words found in the book of Revelation:

“And he saith unto me Seal not  the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. 

And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosever will, let him take the water of life freely.

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add him to the plagues that are written in this book:

 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God  shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

He which testifieth these things saith Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

 (Revelation 22:10-21)


These last words from Revelation, and more importantly those last words of guidance given by our Lord, need no explanation, interpretation nor elaboration.

I ask the reader to search your heart to find where you think you will stand on the day the gate is opened for some and closed to all others. 

You have a choice to make. Once that choice is made you have a duty to be what you profess to be, do what has been asked of you and to refuse to be a passive participant in the evil that surrounds us.

Once more I close, as I always do, offering the love of my Lord and Savior.

 I remain as I always have nothing more nor less than a simple sinner saved by grace, and a soldier still in the service of that Lord whose promise is to return, and quickly.

REPENT FOR THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS AT HAND

2 Timothy 1:12 
12For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Amen and Amen
the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

Promise

A Giving Heart