The prodigal son...the Wayfarer 9/17/13




The Prodigal Son
9/17/13

“It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and now is found.”
(Luke 15:32)

I begin today’s message with the final verse of the chapter to give the reader a view of how the prodigal son was perceived by his father.

We will discuss this in depth at the end of this discourse.
In opening I would state that in many ways, all of us are prodigals at some point in our lives.

We all disappoint our own parents, and more importantly, our heavenly Father more often than we imagine.

Part of the process of growing to adulthood is making mistakes in our lives that we later regret. Some are more serious mistakes than others, but all of them disappoint our Lord.
Let’s go back to the beginning of this Chapter to see why this parable was being taught and to gain insight to the lesson that Jesus was giving within it:
“Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.

 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners and eateth with them. “

(Luke 15: 1 & 2)

Gossips and self-righteous hardheads again are at the forefront of a lesson taught by our Lord. 

 They criticize him for gathering and meeting with those that they feel beneath them.

 Their attitude is that because Christ chooses to do so, it makes him also less worthy than they are, and therefore dangerous to them.
 Today many of these hardheads gather in various churches and tell each other how righteous they are for never associating with the “sinners” in their community.

 They, like the scribes and Pharisees, still refuse to accept Christ’s message of love and repentance for all, yet call themselves Christians as they go about their lives in a community in need of that love and forgiveness that He offered.
One example of this was given me on the day this was first given, by a new attendee at the Fellowship who spoke of a church not far from where I live that actually asked a “sinner” not to attend their services because they found his body odor offensive.

Because of this, the man in question did in fact cease to attend services, not only there but anywhere in the community for fear of offending the “good Christian” people in the local churches.

Somehow, I doubt that Jesus would have been so critical of him as to send him away while he was searching for the truth and love he expected to find in their building.
The “righteous” folk who gather there and in other places have either forgotten, or ignored Jesus' statement that he didn’t come to save the righteous, but to call the sinner to repentance.

They have also forgotten or ignore the fact that we are all sinners in the sight of our Father and have all come short of his glory.
For those near enough to attend our local services, I extend to them the simple words of Jesus, WHOSOEVER will may Come, and will be welcomed to worship and repent with us as I believe was the intent of our Lord! Back to Luke:

“And he spake this parable unto them saying,

What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbors, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.”
(Luke 15: 3-6)

The day this sermon was first given at Grace Fellowship was a very special day for this preacher.

Not only was there a new face in the congregation, but also an old one that had been sorely missed over several months.

It was in fact one of the founding members of our church who had, for whatever reason, been absent.

 Oh, I had been in constant contact with him, but that is not quite the same as seeing him in person again.

I felt a joy as soon as I saw him get out of his grandmother's car, and smile as he walked toward the open door of the church!
I had worked hard on the message I had planned to give this day, spent hours in prayer and contemplation of just which scripture to use, and how to bring across the message of God’s love for us.
 I had already had a phone conversation that almost made me change my mind, but was still determined to use the message I had planned to give.

 In the matter of an instant, all plans went out the window and I knew that instead I had to get across to this young man how important he is to our Savior, and I found myself here in Luke with this scripture before me.

 Our individual worth to God is something that only is understood through the love of those around us! My joy at this return, however is eclipsed by the joy I know that was there in the form of the Holy Spirit!

“I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

(Luke 15: 7)
Jesus found that this one parable was not adequate to get through to the hardheads that he was addressing, and to show God’s perpetual love for those whom they were denigrating. He continued with another:

“Either, what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?

 And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and neighbors together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece I had lost.
Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.
(Luke 15:8-10)
At some point in life, we all misplace or lose money that we need and do indeed search diligently for it.

Personally I remember a time when I misplaced several hundred Marks while stationed in Germany,  thinking it was gone forever, only to find it later at the end of the month when I truly needed it the most.

I remember the joy I had when I found it, and the importance it held for me that I could pay for things I thought necessary that otherwise would have been impossible until the following payday.

 Among them was meals in a local restaurant after the closure of our mess hall, particularly since my work hours and responsibilities forbade my leaving to get to a chow hall.

 How much more God and his angels rejoice at the return of a soul, far more precious than money!


“And he said, A certain man had two sons:

And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me, and he divided unto them his living.

And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.

 And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.

And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.

And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
(Luke 15:11-19)

When I reached this part of the scripture during the sermon I was giving, I found a rather large lump in my throat as I remembered having been the pastor for this same church so many years ago, becoming disillusioned and leaving to go work for an electrical contractor who paid several times as well as what I was earning at the time working a local job.

I lasted on that job less than six months before I broke a leg and became disabled.

 As I told the congregation God used the 2x4  on me that I made reference to, about my granddad’s mule, that I used in a sermon regarding Jonah!

In my stubbornness I failed to realize this until once again taking up the mantle of pastor for the congregation I now have!

Talk about prodigals, I find myself guilty and seek the same thing that this young son sought, only to be a servant.

“And he arose, and came to his father, But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him.

And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.

But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:

And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry;

For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost , and is found, And they began to be merry,

 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came night to the house, he heard music and dancing.

 And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.

 And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.

And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and entreated him.

And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid that I might make merry with my friends:

But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.

 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine,

 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found
(Luke15:20-32)
Sometimes it is human nature to forget to look at God as a loving parent, which he is for all of us.

We forget that he loves others despite their faults and failures.

We forget that His commandment was that we love each other with that same love.

I would remind all of the readers, particularly those who gather at churches around the world of just a few more words spoken by Jesus over in Revelation Chapter two verse five:
Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto the quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
Those first works referred to are the laws of God, not man, and of paramount importance, the only commandment given us by Jesus himself, that we love one another.
 I ask all to remember that we are all sinners, even those of us saved by grace and are not more  important than those who are most in need of our ministry and His love.
I close as always with the same salutation of a sinner saved by grace through that very same love given by a Savior who loved me enough to sacrifice  himself for me… and for you… and for those “sinners you refuse to acknowledge as being God’s children, your brothers, though they be prodigal, still loved by Him!


2 Timothy 1:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
Even so Come Lord Jesus,
Amen and amen.
the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day