“Give or Take”...the Wayfarer 1/27/14



“Give or Take”
1/27/14


“Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.”
(Luke 6:38)

It has been said, and I find it also to be quite true, that two kinds of people exist in this world, givers, and takers.

This is usually said, and used by takers who would justify their greed and lack of compassion for others.

They view the givers as gullible, and weak, somehow less blessed with the intellect to prosper than those whose primary goal in life is to gain as much of its riches as possible for themselves, often at the cost of even those closest to them to include family.

They view the world through property and dollar signs instead of viewing it for what it is and what is available far more precious than the accumulation of that property or the wealth they seek.

They are gluttonous, and covetous of any and all they perceive to have anything they themselves want, and are often deceitful, violent and vengeful in their efforts to take all available from any and all.

These may proper for a while, perhaps for a long while, but when they come to the end of their days, they take none of the accumulated wealth or property with them.

They face the judgment of one of the givers!

“But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
(John 10:26-28)

This is the intent of that giver, to provide for the comfort and life of a soul, eternally, not for a fleeting passage of time spent on this earth!

Earlier in this passage, Jesus also said:

“Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again.

No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father”
(John 10: 17 &18)

Was Jesus then weak? Was He gullible? Was he deceived by those to whom He gave His life so that they could inherit eternal life?

I think, and I know, not!!

This same giver was also given the keys to death and hell by that same Father. He was given all power in both heaven and earth.

This was not taken from the Father by deceit or violence or any other means, but through the love and obedience shown that Father, and the compassion shown all mankind.

“And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost;

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen”
(Matthew 28:18-20)

Jesus was a giver!

Take note that He also gave us the instruction to give the things given through his teachings to others as well!

There are references after references throughout the Gospels, and indeed throughout the scriptures to the necessity of giving.

On close examination of these scriptures you will find that the gifts to be given must be given willingly, not grudgingly, from that which you have been given by God!

Each of these scriptures is direction for the individual to give, not an organization, not a government, no entity other than the individual himself.

Equally numerous references to taking may be found. Many of them are in reference to the things wrongfully taken from others, to include the very lives of those others.

References to the covetousness of those, who are the takers only, of this world, abound within the pages of those scriptures.

Both Testaments tell us to work for what rewards we are to receive, and not to steal or demand the blessings given others.

If we insist on wrongfully taking those blessings, it is a contradiction to the teachings of our Lord, the greatest giver of all.
Those “gifts” then given from the booty taken from others, are not truly gifts given by us as individuals at all, and are not given willingly as is the requirement of any gift to be given.

In a world of greed and avarice those “gifts” are perceived as the just due of those who have no intent of earning them, or giving in return for them, nor will thanks be offered to those giving, or to God himself from whom they originate to begin with.

If we are to call ourselves Christians, giving freely, of our own will is not even a question when faced by a need.

Taking wrongfully from others to provide the wants of others, is the opposite of what was taught by our Lord, and no blessing could be derived or expected to be derived from it.

Yes, there are two kinds of people in this world. I agree wholeheartedly with that statement I have heard so often!

There are those who choose to know and follow the teachings of our Lord, who in turn are blessed by Him, whether it be with further wealth to share with others, or with only the ability to share what meager possessions are given them, and the greater blessing of a loving and true heart demanded by our Lord.
There are also others whose Master is not mine, whose hearts have no love, who give only those gifts they expect to be given accolades, power, and further wealth of their own for in return.

Either way, The Master chosen, will be evident, both in the conduct, and in the gifts given.

Once again, it comes down to a matter of choice… not one made by others for you, but by you as an individual.

Give, or take the choice is yours.

Choose carefully what is taken, choose carefully what is given.

Give willingly, take thankfully, remembering from whom all true gifts come, and to whom they actually belong.

Take the teachings of one of the two Masters, but know which Master you take from, because it is to that Master you belong, and only One will stand to judge what has been given and what has been taken.

I close in prayer that you choose the same Master I did, long ago, though the other still goes out of his way to blind me, and all like me, to the blessings given by that Master, despite the fact that he inevitably fails to do so.

I will not be deceived by that other, for I can no longer be deceived. I know in whom I have believed, and in whom my trust, and confidence continues to lie.
HIS NAME IS JESUS

I remain your humble servant, simple sinner saved by His grace through faith in Him alone, attempting to give, and share His love with all.

I remain also the soldier, called into His service, taking into the battle that same love and each teaching left by Him as my primary and best weapon on the field of battle between the givers and takers of this world.

2 Timothy 1:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.


Amen and Amen 

the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day