“Is You is, or Is You Ain’t”...the Wayfarer9/13/13


See the source image
“Is You is, or IsYou Ain’t”

9/13/13


“I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

 (Revelation 3:15 &16)


The last few weeks of our discipleship meetings on Wednesday have been devoted to the letters to the seven churches found in the 2nd and 3rd chapters of Revelation.

 This is a topic I promised earlier to get back to, and will do so, in part, with today’s dissertation.


These letters, to be given by John to the various churches, were more than a warning and compliment to those churches at that time. They are, in fact, equally important in preparation for Christ’s taking His Bride, now, as they were then.


The last two churches written about, and to, were very different in nature, and as  Brother Boda said, often during our study, actually overlap each other when considered as “Church Ages” as viewed by most scholars when addressing this final prophetic book of our Bible.


Bear with me as I cover the Church called Philadelphia, and the church at Laodicea and what I find to be their pertinence to our society and Churches today.


Today’s title comes, not from the scripture, but from an old tune from the 30’s or 40’s that asked a simple question that is now being asked by Jesus himself.

It must be answered now, by the churches, as it had to be answered then, by the subject of its writer. “Is you is or is you ain’t my baby?”


Just as there was no middle ground left to the answer in that old song, there is no middle ground to be found in answering the same question when asked by Jesus.


The first church and “church age” we will look at, will be the one about which Christ had no complaint whatsoever.

It is the only one of the seven that was not in any way chastened for its actions and beliefs.


“He that hath an ear to hear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.


And to the angel of the church of Philadelphia write: These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth: and shutteth and no man openeth.


I know thy works, behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hath not denied my name.


Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie: behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know  that I have loved thee.


Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.


Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.


(Revelation 3-6-12)


The church described here is a truly revived church, following the teachings of Christ Jesus.

It does so despite the various temptations that befall each of us daily. It found the truth of the simple message of redemption through repentance and belief in our Lord through faith in the fact that His sacrifice was ample to suffice for the forgiveness of sin.

It followed no tradition or ceremony, but worshipped in Spirit and in Truth, adhering to the single commandment left by Christ to love one another, allowing that love to show through the lives they lived (and still live).


The only admonition to this church was to hold fast to the faith and belief and true worship already being done.


Again, this is the only church mentioned, about which no complaint was issued!


This is the revived church that we should be pursuing to be. It is the  Bride to be taken, that will be held from the hour of temptation that, is so soon upon us, and that will indeed come, to torture, demean and destroy the majority of those left alive as this prophesy is fulfilled.


This is the church that is comprised of BELIEVERS who see the sin and corruption about them, and instead of falling prey to the self-righteousness, and ceremony and tradition espoused by the Pharisees of Christ’s time, and those today subject to that same flaw, continued and endured, following that one commandment of love given by Him.


This is the church that refuses to surrender in the face of adversity, and persecution.


It is a church, in a decidedly violent and evil world, that hates it, and Christ Himself.

It is hated simply because of mankind’s inherent greed, and selfish sin that long ago refuted the gift of perfection bestowed on this creature called man.

This made this creature capable of retrieving that perfection only through the sacrifice of God’s only begotten Son on a cross, to pardon that inherent sin, if repentance is truly given by that creature, and which is then evidenced through the following of that one commandment of love given by Him!


Now let us examine the second Church to which I referred in the opening, and the final church addressed by Christ through John in this final book of our Bible.


He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith  unto the churches.


And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write: these things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God:


I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would that thou wert cold or hot.


So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.


Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing, and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind and naked:


I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich: and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.


As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.


To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.


He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

(Revelation 3:13-22)


This second “church” mentioned, was addressed in no uncertain terms, first by describing the power and glory held by Christ. He then lets them know just where they stand in relationship to what he expects of a true church!


Like far too many churches of the day, they were interested in the enrichment of themselves… not the commandment to love as has been given us.


They were, and many still are, blinded to the concept, that ceremony, tradition and self-righteous judgment of all around us, is in fact poverty and misery while here, and no way to attain the kingdom promised when we are finally called to the throne of judgment.


Brother Boda, in his classes taught throughout the past few weeks, went into great research to provide generous detail about the original churches addressed, and any remnants of the buildings left by them today.


Of this particular church he stated that: only rubble, saw grass, and basically uninhabitable ground, remains.


This is what may be expected to come to pass for all those still participating in the complete failure to follow the intent of the teachings of our Lord, who see only the riches and raiment of this world, and view  countless others, not as fortunate as themselves, to be beneath them.


I have expended a great deal of energy and devoted a great deal of time in several of my dissertations in the attempt to reach those reachable, and teach those teachable that Christianity is far more than a “religion” or an appellation to be worn only on the Sabbath, celebrated while in “church”.

 It goes far beyond the confines of any temple, tabernacle, church building or whatever house of worship one may attend.  It is a  LIFE of Service  dedicated to following the precepts and teachings of our Lord.


It often requires patience and sacrifice of worldly pleasures and riches to meet that one simple commandment of love that Christ left us.


More often than not, it will be met with persecutions, small and great by those who revile the teachings of Christ, while espousing the teachings of men instead… by those whose own goal is to be recognized as righteous in the eyes of those around them... but fail to take into account the only opinion that will matter after the last breath of this precious air given us to breathe has been taken when each and every one MUST kneel before the Judge that stated that He alone has the keys to Death and Hell, and that He alone may write a name in the book of life to be opened on the day of that judgment.

Christ’s remarks to this second church, tells us that it is not yet too late to take the gift He has offered. His counsel is to buy the true treasures that may only be purchased through Him.


He tells us that if we are loved, we will be rebuked and chastened. He finishes that statement with the same message given throughout his ministry of the necessity of repentance!


The final statement is that we CAN overcome, through that repentance, and share in true treasures of eternal life, and live in the very presence of God.  


In closing, I ask the same question posed by that long ago lyricist that still has a pertinent question to ask; “IS YOU IS, or IS YOU AIN’T?”


Which of the two churches covered by this scripture do you wish to belong to as that Day of Judgment approaches?


Which one do you now belong to?


Once more I leave you with the admonition given by our Lord to:


“Repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!”


I leave to you the decision you must make, as you alone may make that decision.


 I leave you with the true and enduring love of THIS sinner, saved by grace through faith in a Savior incapable of lying, with the same promised gift available to YOU through HIM alone, that I accepted so long ago. I remain nothing more, nor less, than a soldier in His service, and humble servant to His word and will,

2 Timothy 1:12 12For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.


Amen and Amen
the Wayfarer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day