Jesus, Hold My Hand

Image result for peter walking on water, art

Jesus, Hold My Hand

Matthew 14:22-33 King James Version (KJV)
22 And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.
23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.
24 But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.
25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.
26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.
27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
32 And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.
33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Today’s title comes from yet another precious old hymn, one that once more conveys a prayer prayed daily by many, and, that when prayed earnestly, in Spirit and Truth, is answered  as immediately as His answer and action for Peter in the midst of the tempest.

Jesus, Hold My Hand

As I travel through this pilgrim land
There is a friend who walks with me
Leads me safely through the sinking sand
It is the Christ at Calvary
This would be my prayer, dear Lord, each day
You help me do the best I can
For I need Thy light to guide me day and night
Blessed Jesus, hold my hand
Jesus, hold my hand
For I need Thee every hour
Through this pilgrim land
Protect me by Thy power
Hear my feeble plea
O Lord, look down on me
When I kneel in prayer
I hope to meet You there
Blessed Jesus, hold my hand
Let me travel in the light divine
That I may see the blessed way
Keep me that I may be wholly Thine
And sing 'Redemption's Song' some day
I will be a soldier brave and true
And ever firmly take a stand
As I onward go and daily meet the foe
Blessed Jesus, hold my hand
Jesus, hold my hand
'Cause I need Thee every hour
Through this pilgrim land
Protect me by Thy power
Hear my feeble plea
And O Lord look down on me
When I kneel in prayer
I hope to meet You there
Blessed Jesus, hold my hand
When I kneel in prayer
I hope to meet You there
Blessed Jesus, hold my hand
Take note that the disciples were in the midst of a tumultuous and roiling sea when Jesus went to them. The storm they faced held no power over his ability to get to them to qualm their fears.
Yet, they questioned what they saw, all the more troubled believing Him to be a spirit to be fearful of, not yet understanding who it was that walked on the water toward them to grant them the safety and peace they so desired.
His words echo through the centuries in the midst of storms faced daily by those of His choosing still today: Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
Like Peter, many need more than those words as proof, seek some evidence rather than accepting evidence already continually given of both His intent and ability to accomplish that intent in those storms.
Peter, knowing that it was indeed the Master, asked for further proof, and at first accepted that proof, yet weakened as the evidence of the storm about him seemed to be so strong… he forgot the strength of the Master Himself.
His words prove that he had confidence in the Master, above that which he lacked in himself. His cry was simple, yet more than adequate to provide the response desired by him, and that which needs to be desired by each still today: Save me!
The action taken by Jesus was IMMEDIATE. His words ring loud and clear to each today finding themselves in the midst of the storm, if only they would make the effort to hear them above the clamor of that storm:
O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
I find a small discrepancy within the words of the hymn used as title, coming in the final lines of its chorus. It states:
“I hope to meet you there.”
I would change that single line to read, “I know I’ll meet you there”.
Peter had hope that he would be able to meet Christ on the water. Christ provided the surety of that hope by stretching forth His hand to save him, and returned him to more solid footing.
That same hand is stretched out to each one willing to take it, that surety of footing exists on an immovable rock that remains solid ground no matter how buffeted and assailed by any storm.
2 Timothy 1:12
King James Version (KJV)
12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
Amen and Amen
CMc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

Why