“Sing, you children, Sing”...the Wayfarer

Image result for Baby Sing

admin · 2 years, 1 month ago

“Sing, you children, Sing”
“How long wilt thou forget me, O Lord? Forever? How long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? How long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and hear me, O Lord my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
I will sing unto the Lord, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.”
(Psalms 13:1-6)
Today’s title, taken once again not from scripture, but from a song remembered from my youth, is a reminder that we have much to sing about, and for which to offer praise in that song.
Song is an important part of the lives of both children and adult alike. Lyrics are often remembered for years, are “stuck in our heads” when some chance event or encounter immediately bring those words and that music back to our thoughts with memories of the times that those songs held special meaning in our lives.
Song is equally important to God, and should be incorporated into any worship service, and devotional service experienced.
Song is a reflection of what is felt within the soul that inhabits this “flesh suit” as it is described by my brother, and dear friend Bob.
Songs of joy are there to increase that joy, and should be given with that same joy/ so that that joy is shared by others, in turn spreading that joy farther still.
Songs of lamentation and sorrow are also important. They show the sincerity of emotion felt deep within that soul, both to God and man.
Often, those songs alleviate some small portion of that sorrow, leading back to the joy, either remembered or longed for, and the chance to once more experience that same joy.
The Psalm with which I opened was one both of lamentation and joy, lamentation for the depth of depression surrounding David as he faced the trials of his life, and one of joy and praise given in faith that those trials would be overcome by God’s love and grace, meriting joy and praise and thanks for the help and salvation that may only be found through that faith and grace.
“Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the Lord, and spake saying, I will sing unto the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father’s God, and I will exalt him.”
(Exodus 15-1&2)
As the Israelites were finally safely across the Red Sea, and on the way to the land promised by God’s Covenant with them, the relief was palpable.
They were witness to the power and the glory, shown by God, in the complete and utter destruction of their pursuers, and those who had enslaved them for so long.
They realized that this demanded proper praise, and it was given in song!
Again, they gave credit where it was due in acknowledging that all strength and the reason for song and joy of their freedom came from God alone. Note that once more salvation was the subject of that song of praise given.
“Give thanks unto the Lord, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people.
Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him, talk ye of his wondrous works.
Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the Lord.
Seek the Lord and his strength, seek his face continually.”
(1Chronicles 16:8-11)
As David ascended to power, the Ark of the Covenant was brought to the city he chose to make his headquarters. 
He dedicated a time of jubilee and rejoicing for this special day in the continued existence of God’s people, bringing in musicians of every available kind, to join in this celebration of God, and his peculiar and unique love of his chosen people.
Song is once again at the center of the worship given God, and the praise that was given to glorify Him.
The instruction given by him to the people only reinforces the importance of song to that worship and glorification demanded of us by God, in return for the blessings and grace given us.
“Then sang Deborah and Barak the son of Abinoam on that day, saying,
Praise ye the Lord for the avenging of Israel, when the people willingly offered themselves.
Hear, O ye kings: give ear, O ye princes; I, even I will sing unto the Lord God of Israel.”
(Judges 5:1-3)
This is but another manifestation of the power of God to overcome any and all adversity faced by his children, as is given in this account of Debora, and the means by which God’s people found deliverance from persecution, and a means to continue existence in a world determined to eradicate and exterminate them, and with them, all memory of our Creator and Savior.
Take note that once more thanks was given and praise offered in song for salvation!
“The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple.
For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me upon a rock.
And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of Joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
When thou sadist, Seek ye my face, my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord will I seek.
Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger; thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
 When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.
Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.
I had fainted unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait I say on the Lord. ”
(Psalm 27:1-14)
Who among us has not felt this desperation voiced so well by David at some point during our lives?
That desperation and depression was overcome by the realizations given in the first few verses of this Psalm, and concluded that our patience is a requirement to see the mercy and grace we so often seek in our lives.
The 6th verse is the hope to be expected of us by God and the praise to be given in that hope. The final verse a reminder, that God has his own time schedule that may not coincide with our own, but is to be trusted to be more than adequate for all our needs.
“In the transgression of an evil man there is a snarl: but the righteous doth sing and rejoice.”
(Proverbs 29:6)
This particular proverb gives great guidance in the conduct of our lives from day to day. I have previously used much of it in another sermon, but encourage the reader to return to it and look well to that guidance offered and heed it equally well.
If we are walking in concert with God, we cannot help but to experience the joy of that walk, and cannot help but to also give praise for that walk both in prayer and in song.
Song, when heartfelt and truly meant, is, in and of itself, often an offering of and extension of prayer, not only acceptable to God, but truly loved by Him and desired to be heard by Him.
Rejoice in song to our Lord, and often.
Pay attention to the song in your heart, as not all song given by man is pleasing to God. 
The songs of those who only sing of their own accomplishment and ability with no mention of where those accomplishments or ability come from are instead an affront and abomination To God.
“And He will stretch out his hand against the north, and destroy Assyria; and will make Nineveh a desolation, and dry like a wilderness.
And flocks shall lie down in the midst of her, all the beasts of the nations: both the cormorant and the bittern shall lodge in the upper lintels of it; their voice shall sing in the windows; desolation shall be in the thresholds; for he shall uncover the cedar work.
This is the rejoicing city that dwelt carelessly, that said in her heart, I am, and there is none beside me: how is she become a desolation, a place for beasts to lie down in! every one that passeth by her shall hiss, and wag his hand.”
(Zephaniah 2:13-15)
The only singing that will be heard by those who refuse to acknowledge the existence and power of our God will be the singing of birds dwelling in the cities they built, and trusted only themselves and their own devices to defend/ while in the process of ignoring the gift of joy available to them instead of the wrath they must eventually face!
“What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also; I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.”
(1Corinthinans 14:15)
Pray with Spirit... Sing with Spirit. Make sure that Spirit is that of our Creator and Judge, and not that misleading spirit that would deny the very reason for our song, the salvation of our eternal souls intended to experience the joy expressed in that song and give praise with that joy forever.
Remember also to whom the thanks is due for the salvation and required purification and sanctification of that soul prior to and during the process of offering that song!

“For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren.
Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold, I and the children which God hath given me.”
(Hebrews 2:11-13)
Sing you children, sing. Sing loudly. Sing proudly, of the Lord our God, and the salvation given through the sacrifice of His only begotten Son, Christ Jesus.  
Sing with faith, Sing with hope, Sing in the promise of that salvation and the resurrection to come.
Sing with joy for that salvation. Sing also with sorrow for the failures in your lives to live up to our end of the bargain.
Sing both joyously, and in lamentation, with the knowledge that that song is in fact a prayer sweeter to God than the songs of angels, whether you can carry a tune in a bucket, or are totally tone deaf. 
Make that joyful noise unto our Lord in expectation of His blessing, mercy and grace, but remember the price for all of the above:
“Repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!”
I close once more, as always, that same servant to you, and more importantly to my Lord, in prayer for the beautiful sounds of songs offered in worship and praise, and that they be offered with a heart that truly means each note and word. I remain, as ever, that same simple sinner saved by grace through faith in my Lord, offering my own joy and lamentation as is required in prayer, and in song as an extension of that prayer. I remain still that cautious and watchful soldier, expecting battle as I give praise for the victory I know has already been given me, recognizing my weakness but basking in my strength though Him.
Amen and Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

Know Peace