The Glory-Land Way
 
46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
(John 12:46 &47)
That light that came into the world, was, and is Jesus, Who remains the WAY, TRUTH and Life, and the only WAY to either that TRUTH or LIFE!
Once again, I choose from among the gospel songs of my youth, and my present, (I at least continue to sing them as do many others I have found in my various travels, as they convey so much of the message of the gospel), for the title of today’s dissertation.
I would begin by stating that what is to be presented here, is not completely and uniquely original, as I have heard portions of what is presented in the sermons of others as well. I intend no plagiarism, I intend to share, hopefully the gospel shared through those messages, this old hymn I chose for a title, and through the scriptures whose Authorship is certain.
The old song mentioned in the title states that the writer is in the glory land way, a phrase that conveys only a way travelled to get to the destination sought, not the destination itself.
Being in that WAY is something to be boasted of, if the boasting is of the WAY, and not of the one that has found it.
Some are indeed in THE WAY, unfortunately others are only in the way of those who would sincerely seek to be in that WAY.
The old hymn goes as follows:
“I’m in the way, the bright and shining way, I’m in the glory land way.
Telling the world that Jesus saves today, yes I’m in the glory land way.
List to the call, the gospel call today, Get in the glory land way;
Wand’rers  come home, O hasten to obey, and get in the glory land way.
Onward I go, rejoicing in His love, I’m in the glory land way:
Soon I shall see Him in that home above, O I’m in the glory land way.
I’m in the glory land way, I’m in the glory land way, Heaven is nearer and the way groweth clearer, For I’m in the glory land way.
In the verses of scripture I opened with, we find that Jesus DID come to save the world, and to provide the means of salvation to all who would hear His message and believe it, having faith in more than the message of words, but faith in the message lived and to be died for as well.
John 12:34-50
34 The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?
35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.
36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.
37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:
38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.
42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:
43 For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.
44 Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
45 And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
This passage of scripture came after miracles had been performed, after God’s  Own voice sounded from heaven to assure those hearing It that what had been spoken by Jesus was indeed to glorify Him, and that those words conveyed His will for that people.
Still there were many who chose to question Jesus, to deny what was being given them, to criticize and nit-pick, while clinging to righteousness not held by those claiming it.
Despite the clarity of Jesus message, they refused to understand its simplicity and clarity.
These were in the way, not in the WAY, and they remained firmly in the way as God’s own Son gave them the WAY back to the God they professed to worship.
Jesus was lifted up, just as he foretold, even though the scorn of those unbelievers refuted that that could be possible.
Had he not been lifted up in sacrifice on that cross, redemption would have remained impossible, the Way could never have been made clearer or heaven been nearer for those who choose to believe.
The old hymn speaks of the need to listen to the call that was given by Jesus in order to get in THE WAY, and the need to hasten to obey that call, particularly for the “wanderers”.
Those wanderers of that time, and this remain the same, those wandering through a world, wandering through the years of a temporal life enroute to the destination that awaits at the end of that wandering.
All are wanderers! All are wayfarers! All are mere sojourners among all others that occupy the same frame of time and space allocated them to make choices, take a path toward either the destination intended by God, or the destination chosen for themselves by refusing to hear and heed that “gospel call” spoken of in the old hymn.
Hearing that call is not enough if the call goes unanswered. Just as the Pharisees that refused to confess their belief among their fellows denied that very belief, so too does the failure to confess and share that belief today.
That confession may mean unpopularity, will result in condemnation by the politically correct, just as it did in the time the Pharisees refused to confess belief, standing in the way of those seeking the WAY.
When the world seems set against you, when your belief is held in contempt because it disagrees with a majority whose only belief is in themselves, and in the wisdom and way of man, you will find yourself either in the WAY, or in the way!
 
John 14 
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
 
In closure, I ask the simple question, are you in the way, or are you in THE WAY?
Jesus’ message to all at that time and this as well was, and remains;
“Repent! For the kingdom of heaven is at hand!”
I urge all to choose to get in the WAY, and even more so to get out of the way of those seeking to find that WAY!
Amen and Amen
CMc


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thy will be Done...the Wayfarer 3/15/19

A Giving Heart

This Day